17 Dec 2011, 09:20

I found set folder password after, Lower folder still can be seen folder name,

I think I superior folder set password after, hidden lower many folder name。

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Set Folder Password

20 Dec 2011, 02:03

Sorry, what is the question?

A folder password is strictly for a single folder when it is being opened. It does not relate to the menu or folder structure in any way. By setting a password on a folder, you protect that specific folder - You do not automatically add the same password to the underlying folders also.

We may consider an option like this in the future ...

jacobholm

12 Apr 2012, 15:21

Hi,

I think I know what he is referring to, I have the same/similar problems.

Please, feel free to use my gallery as an example, gallery.jacobholm.net.

I have installed the latest version of imagevuex. I have the three default photo folders (Pictures 1-3), but I have put password protection on "Pictures 1" and "Pictures 2". I have also moved around some photos; "Pictures 1" does not contain any photos directly under it, but rather contains a subfolder with three photos. "Pictures 2" contains one photo directly under it in addition to a subfolder with two photos.

If you click "Pictures 1" (which is password protected) it expands and you see the subfolder, which is unfortunate since I set a password on the parent folder. The subfolder is not accessible though.

If you click "Pictures 2" (which is also protected and contains one photo directly under it) you get prompted for a password (seems you only get asked if there are photos directly under the folder). If you close the password prompt, you will notice that the "Pictures 2" node is expanded once you open the menu again, showing the subfolder.

I also noticed that you get previews of photos when you hover over password protected folders, which I feel you shouldn't.

In my opinion password protected folders should not expand before user has entered a password, independent of wether there are photos or just subfolders in it. I also feel that photo previews should not occurr before the password has been entered.

I hope this made sense.

Regards,
Jacob

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

13 Apr 2012, 01:06

I understand what you are saying, and why you would like to have it this way. However, passwords in Imagevue aren't really related to the MENU - They are related to separate folders. So if you open a password-protected folder (either from the menu, or from direct url), and if the folder contains files, then it will display a password prompt. Obviously there would not be any need to prompt for password when opening a folder if there are no files i the folder ...

So the folder does not really do anything else than attempt to open folders, and either there is a password or there is not. Unfortunately, there is no recursive password system for now ... which has some dilemma to it in terms of the menu.

Will consider this for a future release, but for now you may need to set passwords entirely separately ... meaning you would leave parent folders un-passworded, and instead set passwords on any end-folders where you need them.

jacobholm

27 Aug 2012, 07:30

Obviously there would not be any need to prompt for password when opening a folder if there are no files i the folder ...
There is if there are subfolders. Is the fact that pw protected parent folders expand even if the wrong password is provided something you have control over, or is this a side effect of the password being set directly on the folder? Also, do you have control over thumbnail previews being shown for pw protected folders? Although unauthorized people will not get access to the pictures (except a thumbnail here and there as mentioned above) it would look and feel more robust.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

28 Aug 2012, 05:17

jacobholm wrote:There is if there are subfolders. Is the fact that pw protected parent folders expand even if the wrong password is provided something you have control over, or is this a side effect of the password being set directly on the folder? Also, do you have control over thumbnail previews being shown for pw protected folders? Although unauthorized people will not get access to the pictures (except a thumbnail here and there as mentioned above) it would look and feel more robust.
First of all, I do understand where you are coming from and why you want this. However, as it currently stands, Imagevue passwords are set uniquely for folders. What happens if someone tries to access a subfolder directly for example if a password has not been set on it? Imagevue would need to start checking parent folders to see if there is a password set. 1up -> password no? -> 2up password no? -> 3up password no? It would need to apply this process on all folders before they load, also non-protected ones of course, just to check if there is a parent folder somewhere that has a password set.

The menu itself loads all your folders also the passworded ones ... How else would a user be able to click a password-protected folder? If we were to hide subfolders of a password protected folder, it would require re-loading XML and re-creating the menu after the user has entered the password for a parent folder. Technically, the passwords are not related to the menu at all ... passwords are requested when a folder is being called to load the content of the folder (if the folder has any content of course, and if there is a password set). The menu structure is created before regardless of this, because all items are displayed and clickable, but may of course require password.

Imagevue does not show preview-image from inside a passworded-folder ... It would show for a folder that is inside another passworded folder though. This currently all hangs together with the fact that passwords currently work uniquely on folder, and cannot be used correctly for password-protecting a group of folders with a parent folder.

As mentioned, I understand why you want this functionality ... However, there are some technical and logical issues that need to be solved before it works this way in a future update.

jacobholm

28 Aug 2012, 05:25

Ok, thanks for explaining. I hope you will find a way around this in a future release.