X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

EHRETic
Experienced
Topic Author

Centralized administration

25 Feb 2012, 10:28

Hello there,

I wonder if you ever though about doing a centralized administration for several galleries under a same domain.

I'm the webmaster for a photography association and I'll have a bunch of personal galeries (maybe above 50 when everybody will request it) and such kind of functionalities could be great :

- Centralized user admin
- Centralized theme / general settings.
- Possibility of giving full access to user X to a gallery localized at http://x.domain.com for instance.

I don't know if it is realistic, but if you get bored in a near future... :P

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Centralized administration

27 Feb 2012, 22:28

You can already use the same admin to administrate multiple galleries, but perhaps not exactly as you imagine. If you install multiple physical installations of Imagevue, then this would simply require one admin for each physical installation. However, you can use a single gallery installation with multiple galleries, and here is the concept:

Each gallery essentially has a separate "content" folder, each with their own sub menu hierarchy. For example:

domain/gallery/?contentfolder=content/gallery1/
domain/gallery/?contentfolder=content/gallery2/
domain/gallery/?contentfolder=content/gallery3/

all these "separate" galleries could be managed from the same admin naturally. Furthermore, you could make unique html files as to avoid having long parameters in the URLs, for example:

domain/gallery/gallery1.html
domain/gallery/gallery2.html
domain/gallery/gallery3.html

Settings are generally global, and you can use the same or different themes for each gallery. You can also have different users restricted to different galleries by folder.
EHRETic wrote:- Possibility of giving full access to user X to a gallery localized at http://x.domain.com for instance.
Normally, x.domain.com would target a specific physical folder, but you should be able to create an alias that targets a gallery link. There is currently no automation for this in Imagevue, and it might be complicated since we have no control of the server where Imagevue is hosted.

EHRETic
Experienced
Topic Author

29 Feb 2012, 10:36

Brilliant ! :D

Of course, a subdomain redirection to a long URL is not the cleanest way, but at least, from the concept point of view, it is fulfilling the requirements !

But you forgot to mention that I can also chose the start content folder with the URL as well... Here is an example for the others that will test it :

domain/?contentfolder=content/galleryfolderX#/contentfolder/galleryfolderX/start/

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 Feb 2012, 21:37

yup ;)

And for the record, if you want to avoid long urls like that, you can create your own page.html and embed the parameters into the document instead.

EHRETic
Experienced
Topic Author

01 Mar 2012, 05:36

mjau-mjau wrote:yup ;)

And for the record, if you want to avoid long urls like that, you can create your own page.html and embed the parameters into the document instead.
Hi again,

What code do you put into th HTML file ? I'm not sure about the syntax... And is the name "page.html" kind of detected by imagevue, or it was just an example ?

Another thing i found out, the long URL is not working on ipads (I guess on all "non flash" devices) : it goes to the top folder of the "main" gallery.

Is there any way to avoid that ? If a different syntax of URL exists for non flash devices, maybe a detection in the "page.html" would be the solution (so redirecting to one URL or the other)

Hope I'm clear ! :mrgreen:

Here is an example for test (so for my photo club, not my private one) : http://ehretic.slplp.fr

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

01 Mar 2012, 23:00

EHRETic wrote:What code do you put into th HTML file ? I'm not sure about the syntax... And is the name "page.html" kind of detected by imagevue, or it was just an example ?
Well, this requires some basic coding. Basically, you need to go to your gallery page, and in browser click "view source", and then copy all the code and paste it into a new html document. Then in the "flashvars" section of the code, you can add those parameters that you are currently adding directly to the URL, meaning you can have links like gallery/gallery1.html without long params. No, Imagevue does not "detect" any custom document you have - It doesnt need to, because basically you are embedding imagevue into your own custom document, but telling it what to do with a few custom params.
EHRETic wrote:Another thing i found out, the long URL is not working on ipads (I guess on all "non flash" devices) : it goes to the top folder of the "main" gallery.

Is there any way to avoid that ? If a different syntax of URL exists for non flash devices, maybe a detection in the "page.html" would be the solution (so redirecting to one URL or the other)
As it currently stands, Imagevue redirects to the html version for ipads and other non-flash devices, but does not inherit the page address from #SWFAddress. We will look into this for next release with new Imagevue mobile version.

EHRETic
Experienced
Topic Author

02 Mar 2012, 02:42

mjau-mjau wrote:Well, this requires some basic coding. Basically, you need to go to your gallery page, and in browser click "view source", and then copy all the code and paste it into a new html document. Then in the "flashvars" section of the code, you can add those parameters that you are currently adding directly to the URL, meaning you can have links like gallery/gallery1.html without long params. No, Imagevue does not "detect" any custom document you have - It doesnt need to, because basically you are embedding imagevue into your own custom document, but telling it what to do with a few custom params.
Well, I've tried, but it didn't work for start folder, it takes the main gallery one.

I don't know which argument/variable I need to use for custom start folder in "flashvars"... Hope there is one ! :wink:

Edit : this solution worked : ehretic.html#/content/membres/ehretic/start/

But it doesn't bring a lot compared to first link.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

02 Mar 2012, 21:59

EHRETic wrote:Edit : this solution worked : ehretic.html#/content/membres/ehretic/start/
startpath can also be added in the flashvars as I am sure you came across?
EHRETic wrote:But it doesn't bring a lot compared to first link.
What do you mean? The advantage with using custom documents, is that you can place your parameters inside the document instead of having long URLs. Nothing more nothing less.

EHRETic
Experienced
Topic Author

03 Mar 2012, 05:38

mjau-mjau wrote:startpath can also be added in the flashvars as I am sure you came across?
Unfortunatelly not, I don't know where I need to put it or which variable I need to add. I've tried a few common names, but it didn't work.
mjau-mjau wrote:What do you mean? The advantage with using custom documents, is that you can place your parameters inside the document instead of having long URLs. Nothing more nothing less.
Well, as I didn't find out by myself the start path thing, it's not reducing the link that much ! :mrgreen:

So here is what I have :
Code
flashVars.contentfolder = 'content/membres/ehretic';
flashVars.theme = 'SLPLP';
flashVars.language = 'french';
startup folder is /content/membres/ehretic/start

I've tried these 3 different solutions but it didn't worked :
Code
flashVars.startfolder
flashVars.startupfolder 
flashVars.contentfolder= 'content/membres/ehretic#/content/membres/ehretic/start/';
So I guess I've not the correct syntax... :wink:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

03 Mar 2012, 23:16

You are basically accessing the flashvars correctly. So why you did not try startpath parameter?
Code
flashvars.startpath=content/membres/ehretic/start/

EHRETic
Experienced
Topic Author

06 Mar 2012, 12:07

héhé, where would I find it ? :mrgreen:

Don't tell me it's in the doc, because except reading it from A to Z, you wouldn't expect this functionality ! :roll:

Everything is working, thanks for the wonderful help.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

07 Mar 2012, 02:54

No, its hard to find these settings, but because I was mentioning "startpath" earlier in this topic, I thought you might try that! All these settings are basically accessible also in the config by name.