Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Imagvue x3???

01 Jul 2013, 12:01

infoBAR wrote:any new info about new HTML vers.?
Its in the working, but as its coming along, so are new cool concepts and ideas that take time to integrate. I could write about progress, but that might just be counter-productive. All I can say, is that its html5, its modern, its dynamic, its SEO, its fast, its simple, its flexible, works on all devices, it will look cool, and it will support images from Flickr and Picasa in addition to local files. Sorry people, I will try to get up a very early prototype of the frontend as soon as possible for demonstration purposes, but even this will be premature.

eskimo121
Experienced

01 Jul 2013, 18:42

I wonder if this HTML5 gallery (Imagevue New) can have the same smooth finish and interface (smooth movements and intuitive interface) the flash version has. The only reason a majority of the visitors dropped out on my site after visiting it was because of the first load time. I mean the swf would take a some seconds to load (10? 15? for first timers) and often people just left without waiting. The ones that waited, stayed and browsed for a long time.
I know thats how flash works (the loading and stuff) but maybe that first page loading speed can now change because of the new technology and programming on the new platform? Maybe some use of AJAX, sprites, jQuery etc

Interesting reading perhaps (about rich interface technology) :idea: :

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2055 ... chnologies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Internet_application

"New trends: Wikipedia

In November 2011, there were a number of announcements that demonstrated a decline in demand for rich internet application architectures based on plug-ins in order to favor HTML5 alternatives. Adobe announced that Flash would no longer be produced for mobile or TV (refocusing its efforts on Adobe AIR). Pundits questioned its continued relevance even on the desktop and described it as "the beginning of the end". RIM announced that it would continue to develop Flash for the PlayBook, a decision which has been described as "RIM's worst decision to date". Rumors state that Microsoft is to abandon Silverlight after version 5 is released.The combination of these announcements had some proclaiming it "the end of the line for browser plug-ins".

Also it was a good thing X2 was in flash because people couldn't use scraper programs to rip all my pics automatically (when html mode was disabled).
Thanks.

Bored? Browse through some cool images: Amazing Pictures

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

02 Jul 2013, 00:56

eskimo121 wrote:I wonder if this HTML5 gallery (Imagevue New) can have the same smooth finish and interface (smooth movements and intuitive interface) the flash version has. The only reason a majority of the visitors dropped out on my site after visiting it was because of the first load time. I mean the swf would take a some seconds to load (10? 15? for first timers) and often people just left without waiting. The ones that waited, stayed and browsed for a long time.
I know thats how flash works (the loading and stuff) but maybe that first page loading speed can now change because of the new technology and programming on the new platform? Maybe some use of AJAX, sprites, jQuery etc
Loading times in the next version of Imagevue will be superior to that of the current flash, which to be honest is pretty slow because of the way it queues loading of elements. In addition to faster loading of elements using modern browser methods and html5, it will use ajax/html5 to load inline content instead of loading entire page, and other cool stuff like lazy loading of images on scroll, and smart preloading of "next" images in slideshow modes.

The interface will be different, because there is almost no modern website that does not rely on scroll these days, especially for new touch-based platforms. Personally, I love scroll ... Its the most intuitive and fast way to navigate between items on a web page, especially on an iphone or ipad. Excluding it is just limiting the website. There will be some cool slideshow methods to avoid scrolling, that will be as smooth (if not smoother) than the flash version, but the application all in all will have the more traditional feel of a website, but to the advantage of looking and functioning great on all devices and retaining flexibility. Technically, we could almost mimic the current design of Imagevue in a new non-flash version, but that would be a bit backwards not to take advantage of new concepts ... Also, the current design of Imagevue is not very adaptable for small screens.

eskimo121
Experienced

02 Jul 2013, 02:53

Great going ! Also don't forget the 'Full screen on mouse click' option !
Thanks.

tschortsch
Experienced

Imagvue x3???

02 Jul 2013, 07:31

The more you tell, the more curious I am! Can't wait for the prototype! ;)

eskimo121
Experienced

05 Jul 2013, 11:25

Just came across this website , maybe you guys can have a look since it "generates all its content from JSON data through AJAX." It looks pretty nice, the thumbnail navigation etc.
Maybe helpful for ideas. What do u think? Photography site:

http://anonym.to/?http://distilennui.com

source: http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/que ... age-search
Thanks.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Jul 2013, 02:23

eskimo121 wrote:Just came across this website , maybe you guys can have a look since it "generates all its content from JSON data through AJAX." It looks pretty nice, the thumbnail navigation etc.
Maybe helpful for ideas. What do u think? Photography site:
http://anonym.to/?http://distilennui.com
Looks ok, not the smoothest motion, the interface isn't too elegant and it doesnt function great on small devices. JSON+AJAX is often the core of most modern dynamic web "applications", including the next Imagevue. #Hashtag URL navigation is a fragment of the past, as Imagevue will use new html5 methods, which are better armed for seo, humans and sharing. Animations will be smoother in Imagevue because they will use CSS3.

eskimo121
Experienced

08 Jul 2013, 06:52

good to read your response. :)
Thanks.

Shane Shane
Topic Author

13 Jul 2013, 00:36

I hope it comes out soon I'm in the market right now for exactly what you described. Flash is done and I'm not crazy about the fall back look or the video implementation and I want to stay with your company because you guys are the best hands down!! I'm eagerly waiting. If you need a prototyper I'm in.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

14 Jul 2013, 09:54

Shane Shane wrote:I hope it comes out soon I'm in the market right now for exactly what you described. Flash is done and I'm not crazy about the fall back look or the video implementation and I want to stay with your company because you guys are the best hands down!! I'm eagerly waiting. If you need a prototyper I'm in.
Cool. Will definitely like to trial it on some real-world client requirements once the time is ripe.

Right now I am trying to find middle ground between an expanding amount of (wonderful) concept/design/technology implementations, and actually being able to launch a usable prototype within reasonable time.

Martin
Experienced

15 Jul 2013, 08:51

mjau-mjau wrote:Will definitely like to trial it on some real-world client requirements once the time is ripe.
Count me in...

Artur
Imagevue PowerPack

16 Jul 2013, 21:59

All I can say now is - :evil: (just kidding :wink: )
I'm in 90% of the way to adapting the imagevue admin panel to my MySQL / HTML5 site.

I have few question, because I'm not sure whether should I discontinue working on my new website or not.

1. Will it be SQL or still XML?
2. Do you plan to leave doors open for ppl like me, who want to "powerify" everything around? :twisted:
(by saying "open doors" I want to know whether I'll be able to fire my PHP on page, or maybe the new version will use third party minified/protected APIs or frameworks for displaying contents - kinda mobile version?).

Good news though ...

eskimo121
Experienced

17 Jul 2013, 08:47

I hope Artur sticks with us and keeps up the awesome Powerpack for the new version of Imagevue too.
Thanks.

Martin
Experienced

17 Jul 2013, 14:24

eskimo121 wrote:I hope Artur sticks with us...
Yeah... I don't use Powerpack, but I think Artur should stick with us... :)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Jul 2013, 01:37

Artur wrote:All I can say now is - :evil: (just kidding :wink: )
I'm in 90% of the way to adapting the imagevue admin panel to my MySQL / HTML5 site.

I have few question, because I'm not sure whether should I discontinue working on my new website or not.
Some good questions coming up here, and I could probably answer an entire blog post in reply, but that would be a bit premature so let me keep it minimal.
Artur wrote:1. Will it be SQL or still XML?
Imagevue X3 will use a combination of markdown(md) files and JSON for storing- and communicating certain data. This is a non-database approach, but the combination will be much faster, flexible and readable than using XML or DB. For a long time, we considered database to be the natural evolution for Imagevue, but recently we figured it is not. Database has its place of course, but for a portfolio gallery there are no advantages: It will be more complicated, slower, less portable, less logical. Perhaps the only benefit of using a database, is to integrate possible modules like search ... Search has never been and will never be a major feature of Imagevue, simply because this is not strong feature in a portfolio. Besides, Imagevue X3 will have additional focus on hosting images on 3rd party image-storing services (which I could write another blog post about entirely) ... These 3rd party services will support search through their API anyway. I could write much more about this, but I will wait until someone asks "wait a minute. 3rd party services?" ... What about comments? Just like almost any modern blog or web application these days, they use stuff like disqus for comments ... Why not? Its much more secure, less problems with spam, easier to manage, and much easier for visitor to actually make an authentic comments ... besides, its more social and "connected".

Other than that, I can tell you that Imagevue X3 will be nothing like imagevue X2 or any previous version ... The only similarity may be the structure of content (if self-hosted photos).
Artur wrote:2. Do you plan to leave doors open for ppl like me, who want to "powerify" everything around? :twisted:
(by saying "open doors" I want to know whether I'll be able to fire my PHP on page, or maybe the new version will use third party minified/protected APIs or frameworks for displaying contents - kinda mobile version?).
I can't answer this specifically yet, but Imagevue X3 will be much more flexible and modular than any previous versions. Not only will we be dealing with a single unified frontend on all devices, but since its html-based, it will be much easier to inject new modules without worrying too much about breaking any existing layout.

Also, Imagevue X3 will run from the awesome Laravel PHP framework, which will allow an organized approach to adding new modules or bundles. Furthermore, just because the core of Imagevue will not rely on a database, does not mean that it can't easily be extended with database modules. The Laravel framework is a great fundament to work with databases, and it will be knitted in with the Imagevue gallery core system.

Imagevue X3 will basically load pages with JSON through JS, making it swift, flexible and dynamic. It will use a JS MVC framework to load and render templates on frontend, and use similar templates for the backend through laravel blade templates for compatibility in SEO purposes.

Would love to say more, but its a bit counter-productive.