Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

ericnl
Topic Author

How to play MP4 video in original size by default?

16 Oct 2012, 14:14

Hi,

I am trying imagevue 2.8 on my local server. It is great to play MP4 video within Lightbox. However, some video files that were captured by iPhone have portrait orientation (i.e., tall pictures, like 640x960) than the landscape orientation by DV camera (wide pictures, 1920x1080). When ImageVue starts to play them, the video is stretched and distorted until I click the "Original" button. Is there a way that MP4 video is played in there original size/aspect ratio by default? :roll:

Thanks!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: How to play MP4 video in original size by default?

17 Oct 2012, 02:59

Do you have a snapshot? The video player requires a certain minimum width to display properly ... I would assume this is around 640px and any smaller it will need to scale up slightly. Why not just let the hardware render the video at this size? Its not like scaling the video up takes the quality out of the video like might be a problem when scaling up images ... Besides, why shoot vertical video in the first place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

ericnl
Topic Author

17 Oct 2012, 03:45

Please see the screen shots.
1. before clicking "original"
Screen Shot 2012-10-17 at 12.38.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-10-17 at 12.38.29 AM.png (84.63 KiB) Viewed 7298 times
2. after clicking "original"
Screen Shot 2012-10-17 at 12.38.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-10-17 at 12.38.08 AM.png (53.48 KiB) Viewed 7298 times
What do you mean hardware rendering? How can I use hardware rendering?

The video resolution is 360x640, converted from iPhone4 video by Adobe CS6 Media Encoder.

I do not like vertical videos either, but sometimes you have to face all kinds of media sources :(

ericnl
Topic Author

17 Oct 2012, 18:46

And I do not want to render the vertical video purposely to landscape, for example, from 360x640 to 1138x640, because that will generate two wide black side bands (polar), and make the effective video displaying much smaller on iPhone, inefficiently using the screen. So back to the original question, any way to click that "original" button before playing starts?

Shane Shane

17 Oct 2012, 23:46

Im having the same trouble. My video is slightly stretched until I click the original size button.
There Must be a way to open automatically to original size.
It would be nice to just forgo the lightbox altogether and open on the stage. Maybe in a future release.
One thing about Imagevue is they are very good with addressing this stuff.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Oct 2012, 00:12

ericnl wrote:And I do not want to render the vertical video purposely to landscape, for example, from 360x640 to 1138x640, because that will generate two wide black side bands (polar), and make the effective video displaying much smaller on iPhone, inefficiently using the screen. So back to the original question, any way to click that "original" button before playing starts?
May I see a link to your gallery for reference?
Shane Shane wrote:Im having the same trouble. My video is slightly stretched until I click the original size button.
There Must be a way to open automatically to original size.
It would be nice to just forgo the lightbox altogether and open on the stage. Maybe in a future release.
One thing about Imagevue is they are very good with addressing this stuff.
Unlikely its the lightbox' fault. We moved it away from the stage since 2.8 because it allows an improved player that support additional formats.

ericnl
Topic Author

18 Oct 2012, 01:31

Sorry I do not have an Internet link as I am just playing all these things in MAMP environment.
If this cannot be fixed, I have to uncheck "external player" and abandon Lightbox.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Oct 2012, 04:25

This video player does not adapt properly if the video width is below a certain limit. Therefore we enforce a certain automatic width for the player:
This is similar to as Youtube works, and always displays a horizontal player. Unfortunately, it does not seem to handle instead true-aspect scaling of the video inside the visible video "box". I would try to disable externalPlayer, but this will require your videos to be in FLV format.

ericnl
Topic Author

18 Oct 2012, 14:09

Well, if I uncheck "External Player", clicking the video will be downloading it. In firefox, a new tab is opened to play the video with external player in original size (depending on default player in system); in IE, it pops up a download dialog. This behavior is similar as iPhone. In this way videos are played in correct dimension though not as nice as Lightbox.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 Oct 2012, 23:21

ericnl wrote:Well, if I uncheck "External Player", clicking the video will be downloading it. In firefox, a new tab is opened to play the video with external player in original size (depending on default player in system); in IE, it pops up a download dialog. This behavior is similar as iPhone. In this way videos are played in correct dimension though not as nice as Lightbox.
Then this is because you are using MP4 and not FLV ... MP4 is normally preferred in 2012, but unfortunately it is not supported by the internal native video player (because of various reasons). This means some browsers may try to play it if they find a plugin that can play mp4, or prompt for download if not ... That is really why we added the more modern external player that embeds into the lightbox, although as you have noted, it has problems with non-standard aspects and widths. Unfortunately, this will need to be a compromise choice for you ... Sorry, the external player has its weakness in the dimensions, and we tried dozens of different players before we chose this one.

If you are dedicated, you could use another mp4 player and we could help tell you how to replace the current one being used. I am not sure it will yield better results overall ... We even tried this one http://mediaelementjs.com/ which is supposed to be the best implementation if not as good-looking as the current one ... However, we experienced problems in sizing the video into the correct dimensions with this one.

As mentioned, if you encode your video to FLV, it will play in the native player ... but FLV does not work on mobile :/ ... A solution would be to have an FLV file for flash and MP4 for mobile ... You could toggle on/off two folders one for mobile and one for flash version. Tedious ...

Shane Shane

13 Dec 2012, 16:15

I am having the same problem with the video resizing. My aspect ratio is 640 by 480. Shouldnt be a problem but it is. I have had nothing but trouble with this video player. Also i need to make separate jpg's to use as a picture for the video but there is no way to not see the jpg in the gallery along with the video so in the end you have a 50/50 chance of clicking the video or the jpg because of seeing both images .... Unacceptable by any standards. I put alot of work into my video work and it is very frustrating to have to spend hours fighting this just to view it correctly. I would love help in fixing this. Im sorry for any tone but I am at my wits end over here. I would give you a link but don't want clients viewing distorted videos.
And yes I am using mp4 with h.264. If not possible sign me up for http://mediaelementjs.com/ . It looks great.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

14 Dec 2012, 01:28

Shane Shane wrote:I am having the same problem with the video resizing. My aspect ratio is 640 by 480. Shouldnt be a problem but it is. I have had nothing but trouble with this video player.
Can you be a bit more specific? Do you have a link to your video? Does the video loose original aspect?
Shane Shane wrote:Also i need to make separate jpg's to use as a picture for the video but there is no way to not see the jpg in the gallery along with the video so in the end you have a 50/50 chance of clicking the video or the jpg because of seeing both images .... Unacceptable by any standards.
What exactly do you mean that you made separate jpg´s for the videos? videos normally show up as thumbnails, and you can create your own thumbnails. Clicking a video thumbnail will open the video. I am not quite sure what you mean by "clicking the video or the jpg", I am trying to imagine what kinda scenario this is but to no avail. Either your video is displaying, or an image is displaying ... unless you are in thumbnails mode, whereas a representative preview image will be displaying for all files both video and images. I am not sure how this can lead to "50/50 chance" in any way ...
Shane Shane wrote:I put alot of work into my video work and it is very frustrating to have to spend hours fighting this just to view it correctly. I would love help in fixing this. Im sorry for any tone but I am at my wits end over here. I would give you a link but don't want clients viewing distorted videos.
And yes I am using mp4 with h.264. If not possible sign me up for http://mediaelementjs.com/ . It looks great.
As mentioned, do you have a link? We don't wish to see distorted video either ... We tried mediaelementjs a few months ago when 2.8 was released, but this also distorted videos in various cases ... It also depends if video metadata has been included or erased from the video file.

Shane Shane

14 Dec 2012, 22:51

Ok Thank you for the very quick response. Here is a link to a singe video.
http://www.shanemaritch.com/imagevue/#/Speed Reels/

You will notice 2 pics. One will be the video the other the jpg that is referenced for the thumbnail. I want to only see the video with the jpg as the thumbnail.

Also the aspect ratio is 640x480 but when you play the video it stretches it in a horizontal direction. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you for helping.

Shane Shane

15 Dec 2012, 00:13

in the link above include the reels in speed reels.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 Dec 2012, 03:48

Shane Shane wrote:You will notice 2 pics. One will be the video the other the jpg that is referenced for the thumbnail. I want to only see the video with the jpg as the thumbnail.
You have already created the thumbnail with a different name, so why is the image there? Just delete the image, and keep the video! (I assume you uploaded the image to have the thumbnail created, and then you have renamed the thumbnail after wards with FTP, but still kept the image for some reason).
Shane Shane wrote:Also the aspect ratio is 640x480 but when you play the video it stretches it in a horizontal direction. Let me know if you need anything else.
You are right. The video may resize up the video slightly, but it should not be distorting the aspect. This might be related to missing meta data in your video file (which we look for when sizing the aspect of the video window), but let me look into this.