Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

BoaThor
Topic Author

Missing International Character Support.

07 Apr 2010, 02:48

I was very surprised to noticed missing that there is no international character support implemented in imagevue gallery, yet. :shock:

In german language especially the characters à¼,à¶,à¤,ß are important.

Doing this in Perl is not a problem, just load another lib and here you go. But neither I don ´t have an idea how to do this in php, nor do I have the time to investigate.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

07 Apr 2010, 03:12

I don't know what version you are using, but Imagevue supports international characters perfectly unless you are using and old version, hacked version or one with embedded pixel fonts.

The link below shows perfectly well that Imagevue supports native characters in the German language:
https://www.photo.gallery/soda/?language=german

Thunderclap

07 Apr 2010, 04:52

Basically international characters are shown correctly on textpages, Image-titles, etc...

What actually does NOT work well is creating folders with names containing special characters... this ends up with converting the character to 2 ASCII-chars (possibly representing the 2 bytes of the unicode-char). In some cases you will not be able to open these folders anymore, as they contain undisplayable characters :?

But using non-ascii characters in directory- or filenames is no good idea anyhow and should generally be avoided.

BoaThor
Topic Author

07 Apr 2010, 15:10

Thats my problem, thought. I am always using Foldernames as Titels so I get some strange results when I switched from my homegrown 90s style blog to imagevue.

carter2
Experienced

07 Apr 2010, 18:29

Thunderclap wrote:But using non-ascii characters in directory- or filenames is no good idea anyhow and should generally be avoided.
Very good tip

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Apr 2010, 03:43

BoaThor wrote:Thats my problem, thought. I am always using Foldernames as Titels so I get some strange results when I switched from my homegrown 90s style blog to imagevue.
Thunderclap wrote:Basically international characters are shown correctly on textpages, Image-titles, etc...

What actually does NOT work well is creating folders with names containing special characters... this ends up with converting the character to 2 ASCII-chars (possibly representing the 2 bytes of the unicode-char). In some cases you will not be able to open these folders anymore, as they contain undisplayable characters :?

But using non-ascii characters in directory- or filenames is no good idea anyhow and should generally be avoided.
I guess we have not been very clear about this, but the entire POINT of the folder TITLE attribute, is to be able to rename your folder to whatever you want. Folder names have many technical restrictions that also depend on the server that is hosting it, so we generally recommend using strict latin characters ... Then you can set the folder TITLE from the admin with any special international characters, and this will display in the gallery. What is the problem?

Bebotix

05 Sep 2010, 01:40

mjau-mjau wrote:I don't know what version you are using, but Imagevue supports international characters perfectly unless you are using and old version, hacked version or one with embedded pixel fonts.

The link below shows perfectly well that Imagevue supports native characters in the German language:
https://www.photo.gallery/soda/?language=german
sorry to mention, but in the audioplayer "Lautstà¤rke" is NOT displayed correctly, as well in Link above

br

Thomas

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

05 Sep 2010, 05:41

This is because the font for audioplayer we hardcoded to a pixel-font for it to look nice. I will try get get additional latin characters embedded for next release.

Bebotix

05 Sep 2010, 07:12

no prob at all, just to mention .... :wink: