Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

reina
Topic Author

multiple galleries - how to?

25 Feb 2010, 08:19

Hello, I'm working on a site which has imagevueX installed...
Since it's already installed I can't follow step by step instructions and the more I read, the more I'm afraid that a few things have been skipped or altered or something during installation...
Anyway...

We need a second gallery. With a different template, different folders etc.

Could u please help me with that?

The path for the imageveux is:

/public_html/galleryDomi/imagevue

and the content folder is here:

/public_html/galleryDomi/content

Should I make a second content folder?

Thanks in advance...

SofTones
Experienced

25 Feb 2010, 21:27

Ni hao... I have 2 galleries running, one in Chinese the other in English... the English is in a folder named "en", and the other in a folder named "zh".. it means uploading the gallery soft and photos to both folders, maintaining the structure... and if necessary, a simple html "index" page to allow selection of either gallery, or links in both galleries pointing towards the other.... I found this the very easiest way to go about it... hope this helps you ??

reina
Topic Author

26 Feb 2010, 09:07

Thank u very much for your answer...
Although many say that we don't have to upload the software twice, I'd have no problem to do so... but...:

a) The content of my gallery is outside the imagevue folder (so, where should I upload the second content folder? and where should I put the second software files)
b) As I said, I received the page uploaded and running and I can't contact the previus admin to ask him what he did, so I am not really sure of which are the right folders to copy...

It's such a mess.... :roll:

SofTones
Experienced

26 Feb 2010, 09:56

the "imagevue" folder, and the "content" ( of the ImageVueX ) soft need to be uploaded to the 'new' folder you're creating, and given the appropriate chmod 777 permissions ( to read and write to..) and your stuff can then be done through your admin panel. You will need to create an INDEX page ( or similar ) to enable selection of either gallery... you could also name the gallery index files as "index" and "index1" but that will mean anyone wishing to go to the second gallery would need to specify www.xxxxsite.com/index1, the 1st option is probably best
Whatever anyone else says, I found it much simpler to just upload 2 sets of the gallery soft to 2 separate folders, with unique names and I uploaded a flash front-end as a 'home page' and added links to both the galleries so that either could be selected from the 'home page'... in action here
www.sinastudio.net
You can leave gallery1 as is, but it's a much better idea to have unique names for the galleries. In the /public_html root have 2 folders, "gallery1" and "gallery2", with ImageVueX software in BOTH.. this makes it much easier for debugging and 'housekeeping' and gives you a much better chance of keeping things in order.. in your FTP prog: you just need to put a comment of sorts against each gallery id, so that you don't upload to the wrong one !!!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: multiple galleries - how to?

04 Mar 2010, 03:15

Let me try to fill in with some more info ...
reina wrote:Hello, I'm working on a site which has imagevueX installed...
Since it's already installed I can't follow step by step instructions and the more I read, the more I'm afraid that a few things have been skipped or altered or something during installation...
Anyway...

We need a second gallery. With a different template, different folders etc.

Could u please help me with that?

The path for the imageveux is:

/public_html/galleryDomi/imagevue

and the content folder is here:

/public_html/galleryDomi/content

Should I make a second content folder?

Thanks in advance...
The default content folder is "content". You can create another content folder, for example "mycontent", and access your gallery like this:
Code
yourgallery/?contentfolder=mycontent/
Your gallery will then load a gallery based on the "mycontent" folder and all folders/subfolders within. You can also use a different theme like this:
Code
yourgallery/?theme=themename
In combination with above, it would be:
Code
yourgallery/?contentfolder=mycontent&theme=themename
reina wrote:Thank u very much for your answer...
Although many say that we don't have to upload the software twice, I'd have no problem to do so... but...:

a) The content of my gallery is outside the imagevue folder (so, where should I upload the second content folder? and where should I put the second software files)
b) As I said, I received the page uploaded and running and I can't contact the previus admin to ask him what he did, so I am not really sure of which are the right folders to copy...

It's such a mess.... Rolling Eyes
a) The content of your gallery is outside of the imagevue folder, but its not outside of the gallery folder. The second content folder? Upload it side-by-side with the original content folder ... For example "content2".

b) Sorry, what are you trying to do? What is it you want to copy?

Of course, there may be reasons to upload a second physical version of Imagevue, for complete individual control, but there are other ways as explained above.

reina
Topic Author

08 Mar 2010, 09:24

Thank u both very much!

It works now but... (of course there is another but)

On the top left, where the menu appears, there is a title.
I can't change it so it appears on the second gallery as well....
How can I change that?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

10 Mar 2010, 04:58

reina wrote:On the top left, where the menu appears, there is a title.
I can't change it so it appears on the second gallery as well....
How can I change that?
Not quite sure what you mean here ... Perhaps you have a link?

You can disable the title anyway, but not sure if you can disable it on one gallery and enable it on another. Like I said, you can differentiate between content folders and themes, but you cant just make two galleries running on the same files act entirely differently.

jonnorman43

20 Mar 2012, 09:46

Hi there,

Is this possible to run multiple galleries when the gallery is embedded in a html page?
cheers
jon

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

23 Mar 2012, 04:05

jonnorman43 wrote:Is this possible to run multiple galleries when the gallery is embedded in a html page?
Yes. For example, you can use flashvars in your html page to set the contentfolder and other settings.