Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Hotlips
Topic Author

HTTP Server 100% CPU usage

18 Dec 2008, 06:21

I have been noticing a somewhat sluggish response from the webserver when using Imagevue. I have not thought much of it earlier but this morning I had a look at the server CPU usage while serving Imagevue pages.
The first two 100% peeks is the server handling Imagevue front pages and the third 100% spike is the server serving the Imagevue admin page.
For reference I accessed my main site (Joomla CMS) in between. The server handled the MySQL driven Joomla CMS site with ease in a timely manner while moments earlier and later getting stuck on Imagevue. Anyone else seen this behavior?

Server:
HP MediaSmart Server with 1,8 Ghz 64-bit Sempron running Windows Home server (Small Business Server 2003)
Apache 2.2.9
[url=http://www.bjurbom.com/]www.bjurbom.com[/url]

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

18 Dec 2008, 11:39

How many pictures do you have? Also keep in mind that joomla uses database and we rely on filesystem which is even more critical than cpu speed.
firedev.com

Hotlips
Topic Author

18 Dec 2008, 12:21

Hi pain,

I have about 4000 pictures divided on 560Mb and somewhere between 10-50 images / folder. I appreciate the fact that Ivue is DB-less which makes it very easy to install and work with. But I would have hoped that it didn't traverse the whole content directory as often as it seems to do.

It's nothing major however since the 100% CPU spike is just there on initial front page load. Once the SWF is fired up and loaded it runs smoothly. Its more noticeable and annoying while working in Admin though. Is this where "useCache" comes into play or am I barking up the wrong three?

Once again, great work. This is just my way of contributing, if ever so slightly... Feel free to check the portfolio out at http://www.bjurbom.com/iview
[url=http://www.bjurbom.com/]www.bjurbom.com[/url]

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Dec 2008, 22:45

Appreciate your feedback -

Like pain says - Imagevue is basically a "realtime" gallery, and that requires more from the server CPU since it has to create data based on files- and folders.

The frontend gallery should now only use short-period spike on CPU because it caches certain values from files. We are thinking of speeding it up furthermore in the future with XML file caching. However, I am not quite sure if that would be any benefit for the admin as we can't really use caching for the admin. Pain will have to have the final word on that, and we will always consider improvements of course.

The good news is that the the cpu-intensive admin part is usually only accessed infrequently by one or a few users. It would be an issue for the server if the frequently visited frontend gallery was as cpu-intensive as the admin.

PS! nice gallery!