Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

stan
Topic Author

transition flicker / blurry thumb / scrollinfo /image stuck

19 Oct 2008, 21:24

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the new version of V2 (151008)!
Just downloaded it and did a clean install.
http://www.squidbone.com/joomla2/index. ... uctdesign/

Some issues though:

1. WHITE FLICKER ISSUE (only firefox)
I get a white flicker just after each image transition.
Quite annoying if you want to see more than just a few pics...
With opera and safari I don't have that problem.
(btw: I had the same issue with the old V2 version)

2. ENLARGED THUMB BLURRY
In the thumbnailoverview page, the enlarged thumb (on mouse over) is blurry.
In the thumbnailscroller the enlarged thumb (on mouse over) looks much crispier...

3. UNWANTED SCROLLINFO
If I have scrollinfo turn on in the maincontrols, and I click an image in the thumboverview page, i get the imagecounter on top of the image ('image x/x'). Coming from the thumbscrollbar I dont have this problem...
How do i get rid of it?

4. LOADING IMAGE FROM SCROLLER
Quite often an image does not load after clicking the thumbscroller.
When it happens, none of the other images will load either from the thumbscroller.
After returning to thumboverview page and clicking a thumb, the problem is gone.
I can not recreate the issue, it just occurs now and then.

5. IMAGEVUEX LINK
Since I have bought a commercial license I expect the imagevue link can be removed. Is it possible?

Hope you have time to aswer my questions.
I like to go live soon..

Thanks,
stan

----------------------------------------
mac osx / windows xp
firefox
joomla 1.5
imagevuex V2 (151008)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Oct 2008, 01:29

#1 - I have heard of this white flicker issue from another mac user. Can you verify this is only on mac?

#2 - Well, here is the story ... There are two possibilities for thumbnails: 1. smoothed(blurry) or 2. pixelated/artifacts. We integrated method 1 in last release because before we had lots of complaints that thumbnails looked pixelated when rolling over. Unfortunately, when scaling images above 100% from flash, they will not look as good as the original size no matter what. The only way to prevent this, is to turn scaling OFF on rollover and use opacity rollover effect instead. So why does it look good on thumbnailsscroller? That is because thumbnails here are scaled from 50% to 100%, and they will display nicely at 100% of course.

#3 - I would need to see your gallery. In the end of the day, depending on your settings, if you want nothing to ever overlap your image, you need to increase the image margins ... Perhaps I don't understand what you mean - Do you have a link and instructions?

#4 - Not sure what this issue is. Perhaps if I see your link I could have a look around.

#5 - Yes, I have sent you a PM.

stan
Topic Author

20 Oct 2008, 05:02

Hi Karl,
Thanks again for your quick response.

#1 - I have heard of this white flicker issue from another mac user. Can you verify this is only on mac?
Yes, only on mac it happens. But since the majority of my clients are mac users this is a big issue for me... I hope you can come up with a solution for it.

#2 - Well, here is the story ... There are two possibilities for thumbnails: 1. smoothed(blurry) or 2. pixelated/artifacts. We integrated method 1 in last release because before we had lots of complaints that thumbnails looked pixelated when rolling over. Unfortunately, when scaling images above 100% from flash, they will not look as good as the original size no matter what. The only way to prevent this, is to turn scaling OFF on rollover and use opacity rollover effect instead. So why does it look good on thumbnailsscroller? That is because thumbnails here are scaled from 50% to 100%, and they will display nicely at 100% of course.
Ok, I understand. Maybe it is an idea to have the rolledover thumbs in thumbnailoverview page also set to 100%. So going from say like 80% to 100%. It seems more logical to me to have the normal thumb blurred and the rolledover thumb sharp instead of the other way around. Or at least have the option to set the percentages?

#3 - I would need to see your gallery. In the end of the day, depending on your settings, if you want nothing to ever overlap your image, you need to increase the image margins ... Perhaps I don't understand what you mean - Do you have a link and instructions?
Here's the link:

http://www.squidbone.com/joomla2/index. ... sualising/
#4 - Not sure what this issue is. Perhaps if I see your link I could have a look around.
See above.

#5 - Yes, I have sent you a PM.
Thanks!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

20 Oct 2008, 06:41

#1 I'll look into it ...

#2 I have to disagree with your suggestion here. Also scaling down the image below 100% corrupts its quality. Since main thumbnails are what people will be looking at, without rolloing over, I think they should be at optimal quality 100% in static state. I think if you seriously don't like the scale effect, you should turn it off.

As for the thumbnailscroller thumbnails, they are at 50% by default. Since 50% is an absolute 1/2 equation of the full 100%, the corrupted quality is not very noticeable. If you take a close look though, you can clearly see these thumbnails are not as good as one might hope them to be. However, the thumbnails here don't really come to user focus before rollover, where they scale to 100%

#3 When I click a thumbnail, I see the controls hover over the image at the bottom of the screen. I don't see anything wrong with this.

#4 I couldn't reproduce this, but Ill keep in my list.

stan
Topic Author

26 Oct 2008, 22:37

Hi Karl,
#1 I'll look into it ...
thanks!
#2 I have to disagree with your suggestion here. Also scaling down the image below 100% corrupts its quality. Since main thumbnails are what people will be looking at, without rolloing over, I think they should be at optimal quality 100% in static state. I think if you seriously don't like the scale effect, you should turn it off.

Yes, you got a good point there. I decided to remove the scaling...
#3 When I click a thumbnail, I see the controls hover over the image at the bottom of the screen. I don't see anything wrong with this.
It happens after clicking an image on the thumbnailoverview page.
The text "image ##/##" will stay on top of the full image after clicking the thumbnail (without hovering over the main controls, so you would expect a full image without the scrollinfo presented).

See here:

#4 I couldn't reproduce this, but Ill keep in my list.
Ok, just figured out when it happens:

It occurs everytime when clicking the SAME thumb in the thumbnailscroller for a SECOND time BEFORE the image is fully loaded ( double clicking, but with a SMALL PAUSE between the clicks).

The image will stop loading and the screen stays blank. All other thumbs on the thumbnailscroller will not function after that. Only going back to the thumbnailoverview will resolve it.

Happens in FF and IE, and both on mac and pc:

Hope you can come up with a solution.

Stan

stan
Topic Author

image stuck / thumbnail scroller

27 Oct 2008, 11:17

Hi Karl,

I just discovered the same problem occurs with the demo gallery:
https://www.photo.gallery/soda/#/content ... ERujm.jpg/

You can reproduce it like this:

1. click any thumb in the thumbnailscroller.
2. Then, a split second after the image appears (out of the white) hit the thumb again.
3. It will lock up.. :(

In the demo gallery you have to time it quite well, but in my own gallery
every slow double click on the thumbnailscroller will trigger it unfortunately...
http://www.squidbone.com/joomla2/index. ... cam-h.jpg/

Doesnt seem like it will be a quick fix; can you let me know when you think it can be solved?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 Oct 2008, 04:23

hmm seems you are right ... but it only happens if I click a split second AFTER the image is loaded. Can you confirm this?

I will look into ...

stan
Topic Author

29 Oct 2008, 04:48

hmm seems you are right ... but it only happens if I click a split second AFTER the image is loaded. Can you confirm this?
Yes, you are exactly right!
It happens when the image starts appearing (during the transtion fade) which means the image is already loaded....

I read in some other post you were planning to release an updated version of V2 within a few days. I am about to launch my new site and if the release will come out soon I rather wait for it... Can you give some kind of indication when its is due?

Thanks!
Stan

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 Oct 2008, 22:29

We released a small update yesterday if I'm not wrong ... =)
viewtopic.php?t=3241

We are trying to release stable 2.0 version asap, and free ourselves from beta mode. This does not mean we will stop updating of course ...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

06 Nov 2008, 01:28

I believe this issue has been fixed now and will be available in a release coming shortly ...

MacDo
Experienced

21 Nov 2008, 11:38

I've the same problem, with Firefox 3, Flash 10, openSUSE Linux... and the latest version of V2 downloaded today (imagevue v2 beta 20081120).

I upload the files on my server, I put my "content" folder replacing the original one, and I can see the flickering...

Could you help me ?

EDIT. And the problem remains if I disable "useswfaddress"...

dezzo

21 Nov 2008, 13:13

I too use a Mac, with Firefox and Flash 10 and although I had the flicker problem before, I can observer no flicker issues with the new update nor with the online demos, nor with my own gallery even though I have swfaddress enabled. Seems to have been solved with my Mac.

MacDo
Experienced

21 Nov 2008, 17:44

I even have the problem with the soda demo. It seems that the problem occurs only when the transition starts from an horizontal image to a vertical one... or conversely.

I have a smooth transition between two images with the same size but flickering when sizes are different.

A friend of mine does not see the flickering I'm complaining about. He uses Windows, IE/Firefox 3, flash 10. Would it be a bug of the Flash 10 linux version ??

stan
Topic Author

'lock up' problem still occuring after 2 updates

10 Feb 2009, 04:01

Hi Karl,

Just downloaded and installed the new version X2.0.1.
Unfortunately I noticed that the lock up problem is still there after 2 updates.
Double clicking the SAME thumb does not reproduce it, but clicking ANOTHER thumb right after loading will!
http://www.squidbone.com/index.php?opt ... er-25.jpg/

The gallery locks up quite regularly. I even have had some of my (potential) clients pointing it out to me I have a bug in my website, so that is not good publicity for me...

Eventhough I love the application, I just can not afford to have clients clicking away from my site.

Can you please let me know if this issue can be solved?

Thanks!
Stan

===================

I just discovered the same problem occurs with the demo gallery:
https://www.photo.gallery/soda/#/content ... ERujm.jpg/

You can reproduce it like this:

1. click any thumb in the thumbnailscroller.
2. Then, a split second after the image appears (out of the white) hit the thumb again.
3. It will lock up..

In the demo gallery you have to time it quite well, but in my own gallery
every slow double click on the thumbnailscroller will trigger it unfortunately...
http://www.squidbone.com/index.php?opti ... uctdesign/
Quote:

Yes, you are exactly right!
It happens when the image starts appearing (during the transtion fade) which means the image is already loaded....

I read in some other post you were planning to release an updated version of V2 within a few days. I am about to launch my new site and if the release will come out soon I rather wait for it... Can you give some kind of indication when its is due?
[/quote]
Last edited by stan on 10 Feb 2009, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.

stan
Topic Author

10 Feb 2009, 04:59

BTW, best way to reproduce is to scroll along the thumbs and click on a several images quickly. You will get a gray screen within seconds...

http://www.squidbone.com/index.php?opti ... er-25.jpg/

To get visitors out of this situation I have the 'click on main window' set to 'return to thumbnailpage'.
I rather have the setting to 'go to next image' but if it is locked up, nothing happens.. That would be more confusing for a visitor.