Zhuko
Topic Author

14 Aug 2008, 08:20

up

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

15 Aug 2008, 07:05

Sorry for the late reply ...

The new imagevue V2 is very strict on where you place your photos. You have to put your photos within the imagevue content structure. For example, your upload is called "mygallery", you then have:

mygallery/
This is the root of your gallery, and also where the default "index.php" file it. This is also where "imagevue.php" script is, which is responsible for running most scripts. It is placed in the gallery root here, so that it can safely access the "content" folder without server restrictions.

mygallery/imagevue/
this is your imagevue scripts/settings/assets folder, and also the url to your gallery controlpanel/admin.

mygallery/content/
This is your main contentfolder. You can rename this file if you need to and build ANY infrastructure under it. However, you can not move this folder to another location on your server. That will leave it outside the grasp of the imagevue scripts, which can not control it anymore, and for many server, would not be able to read it either...

You can move your index.php to another location(with some moderations), or make your own index.html that contains the gallery, but you MUST have your contentfolder in existing relationship with the imagevue files.

If you want to build several galleries, then I suggest you make your galleries under the content folder. Like "content/gallery1/" etc. You can point each of your galleries to a specific folder under "content".

Perhaps you want to explain to me what you want to do and why you need to put images outside of the gallery dir?

Zhuko
Topic Author

20 Aug 2008, 17:49

i asked this because in my project i keep photos and all other content in special dedicated directory
other special directory for all 3rd party plugins
and from other path i call photogallery
so this is
www.site.com/photo/ - call gallery
www.site.com/plugins/imagevue/ - image vue scripts
www.site.com/UserFiles/photos/ - photos to show in imagevue gallery

the other thing is to put admin script in www.site.com/admin/imagevue/ but take it like a suggestion for flexability

sorry for bad English

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

21 Aug 2008, 03:49

I think this is not possible. Because of server restraints, and general user security, we need to restrict imagevue scripts to work only on files and folders that are under the imagevue folder hierarchy ...

This is standard for most new web based applications, and certainly galleries. You won't be able to separate modules putting admin here, gallery there, and photos another place.

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

21 Aug 2008, 05:55

Technically speaking if someone would order custom built gallery with separate functions we could hack it somehow, but in general release its not gonna happen. This will require enourmous amount of work to split functionality which is used both in admin and frontend.

So, the answer is no. Sorry.
firedev.com

Jesse
Experienced

21 Dec 2008, 21:08

I think I have a question that relates to this.

Right now, "jbrucebenson.com", which is working well, has a folder called "gallery" loaded like this:

var/www/html/gallery

The "gallery" folder contains:
Imagevue folder
Content folder
Imagevue.php
Index.php
README.txt

Because of this architecture, the web address is not "jbrucebenson.com" but "jbrucebenson.com/gallery".

My question is this-

If I put:
Imagevue folder
Content folder
Imagevue.php

-directly in the html folder on my server, (eliminating the "gallery" folder), will the address "jbrucebenson.com" then work?

Reluctant to try this. Is there a way to test this? My web hosting thinks I need to do a .htaccess redirect.

Thoughts?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

22 Dec 2008, 07:25

Generally speaking, if you want to run the gallery from the root of your domain, you should simply upload the gallery to the root of your domain(instead of the "gallery" folder).

Of course there are other ways to do it, but its a little complicated simply moving the index.php to the root. I suggest you do the following:

1. Go your main gallery, click "view source" in your browser. Copy the source code.

2. Paste the source code into an empty document and save as "index.html"

3. You will have to make a few changes in the code as to fit the path and name of your gallery folder:

... href="gallery/imagevue/css/forAdmin.css" ...
... href="gallery/imagevue/css/forImagevue.css" ...
... src="gallery/imagevue/javascript/swfobject.js" ...
... src="gallery/imagevue/javascript/swfaddress.js" ...
... swfobject.embedSWF("gallery/imagevue/imagevue2.swf ...

4. You need to add the following line in the 'flashvars' object, above where it says foreground_color: ... :
Code
globalpath: 'soda',
Save file, and upload to the root of your website. You should be able to access the gallery from "jbrucebenson.com" now ...

Jesse
Experienced

22 Dec 2008, 19:31

mjau-mjau wrote:Generally speaking, if you want to run the gallery from the root of your domain, you should simply upload the gallery to the root of your domain(instead of the "gallery" folder)..
The folder "gallery" was the new name I gave to the "upload" folder supplied with the Imagevue software download........

So then I should upload:
imagevue folder
content folder
imagevue.php
index.php

...to the "html" in the path "var/www/html"? Is this considered loading to the root?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

22 Dec 2008, 21:52

Jesse wrote:The folder "gallery" was the new name I gave to the "upload" folder supplied with the Imagevue software download........
Yes, and that's how most people do it. However, if you want the gallery on the root, you should just skip the "gallery" folder - Simply upload the content of the upload folder, instead of the entire upload folder.
Jesse wrote:So then I should upload:
imagevue folder
content folder
imagevue.php
index.php

...to the "html" in the path "var/www/html"? Is this considered loading to the root?
Well, as I was trying to say, you can't simply upload those few files to the root of your gallery, as they will have incorrect paths to all the other gallery files. You would need to move the entire gallery, like I suggest at the top.

Regarding the location of your root, most likely it is var/www/html, but even easier would be to say that it is the SAME location as where you have uploaded the "gallery" folder. That is why the "gallery" folder displays at jbrucebenson.com/gallery, because the folder is on the root of your site.

You did not want to try the suggestion in my previous email?

Jesse
Experienced

22 Dec 2008, 22:50

mjau-mjau wrote: You would need to move the entire gallery, like I suggest at the top.
Forgive me, I am just trying to understand how the paths are created. Aren't these 4 items the entire gallery? Because these are the entire contents of my folder "gallery":

1. imagevue folder
2. content folder
3. imagevue.php
4. index.php
mjau-mjau wrote:Well, as I was trying to say, you can't simply upload those few files to the root of your gallery, as they will have incorrect paths to all the other gallery files.
But they are in the root already, just in a folder called "gallery". All of the files needed to run the Imagevue gallery are inside that folder, are they not?

So you are saying that when I configure Imagevue with all my files, specifications etc., then the paths are specific to my "gallery" folder being where it is? That is, moving anything will break all the paths that have been established? Or is my understanding completely wrong?
mjau-mjau wrote:Regarding the location of your root, most likely it is var/www/html, but even easier would be to say that it is the SAME location as where you have uploaded the "gallery" folder. That is why the "gallery" folder displays at jbrucebenson.com/gallery, because the folder is on the root of your site.
Which is where it is, so.....

....if I only remove the "gallery" folder, leaving all the files in the same place, the new path for the start page will be "www.jbrucebenson.com/imagevue"? Or something else?

Will the start page load with "jbrucebenson.com" or will it need "jbrucebenson.com/someotherfoldername" ?
mjau-mjau wrote:You did not want to try the suggestion in my previous email?
Just want to understand what I am doing before I do it...;)

thanks.....

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

23 Dec 2008, 04:02

Jesse wrote:Forgive me, I am just trying to understand how the paths are created. Aren't these 4 items the entire gallery? Because these are the entire contents of my folder "gallery":

1. imagevue folder
2. content folder
3. imagevue.php
4. index.php
Oh, I guess I misunderstood your previous post somewhat. YES, those files and folders are your entire gallery. If you move them(or re-upload) to your site root, the gallery will display at jbrucebenson.com.

Hope things are getting clearer now, but let me try to point out something else - If you are trying to move the gallery to root, then why not just re-upload it? Forget about the "gallery" folder, you will not need that anymore as you are choosing to have in in a NEW location.

If you for some reason want to KEEP the "gallery" folder, and want the gallery to display at "jbrucebenson.com", you will have to follow my instructions two posts ago.

index.php and imagevue.php are the main scripts that run imagevue, but all the specific modules are actually contained inside the "imagevue" folder, and it looks for file and folder content in the "content" folder. That's why you can't just move "index.php" or "imagevue.php" without moving the folders "imagevue" and "content" with them.
Last edited by mjau-mjau on 25 Dec 2008, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.

Jesse
Experienced

24 Dec 2008, 19:31

Works great now, thanks:

http://www.jbrucebenson.com/

Finding Imagevue and building this site has made very a happy camper!

sgallery

16 Jan 2009, 15:45

mjau-mjau wrote:Sorry for the late reply ...

The new imagevue V2 is very strict on where you place your photos. You have to put your photos within the imagevue content structure. For example, your upload is called "mygallery", you then have:

mygallery/
This is the root of your gallery, and also where the default "index.php" file it. This is also where "imagevue.php" script is, which is responsible for running most scripts. It is placed in the gallery root here, so that it can safely access the "content" folder without server restrictions.

mygallery/imagevue/
this is your imagevue scripts/settings/assets folder, and also the url to your gallery controlpanel/admin.

mygallery/content/
This is your main contentfolder. You can rename this file if you need to and build ANY infrastructure under it. However, you can not move this folder to another location on your server. That will leave it outside the grasp of the imagevue scripts, which can not control it anymore, and for many server, would not be able to read it either...

You can move your index.php to another location(with some moderations), or make your own index.html that contains the gallery, but you MUST have your contentfolder in existing relationship with the imagevue files.

If you want to build several galleries, then I suggest you make your galleries under the content folder. Like "content/gallery1/" etc. You can point each of your galleries to a specific folder under "content".

Perhaps you want to explain to me what you want to do and why you need to put images outside of the gallery dir?
Hi,
it is my first post here (and sorry for my English)
One of reason is ussage of multiple languages for same image.
For sample:
I wish to have same gallery in Eng, Russian, and Romanian languages.
So, I have compelled to upload three scripts (imagevue) and same images in each lang. path.
For sample, url result for some image from any gallery:
1. www.myweb.com/gallery/#/content/ENG/pictures2/77.jpg/ (English version of page with image title and description in English)
2. www.myweb.com/gallery/#/content/RUS/pictures2/77.jpg/ (Russian version of page with image title and description in Russian)
3. www.myweb.com/gallery/#/content/ROM/pictures2/77.jpg/ (Romanian version of page with image title and description in Romanian)
So, I'm compelled to upload same images in each folder (for ENG, RUS and ROM languages).
It negatively affects on "storage" and "Traffic MB" parameters that is extremely undesirable.
It would be good to have the common folder for images and opportunity to set in each gallery url path for images.
Also it is not so welcomed long URL addresses with "#" or like...
Again sorry for my English.
Thanks!
ss

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

17 Jan 2009, 01:18

sgallery wrote:It negatively affects on "storage" and "Traffic MB" parameters that is extremely undesirable.
I can understand it affects your storage, but bandwidth traffic amount should be the same. Any user still just loads a single image, and not one for all three lagnuages.
sgallery wrote:It would be good to have the common folder for images and opportunity to set in each gallery url path for images.
Not 100% sure what you mean, but I think you are suggesting that you want to use the same folder for images across languages. Of course, that would be optimal, but that would require the gallery to be able to store multiple language descriptions for each image. We will have to consider this, although not even database-driven archive galleries, or flickr support this...
sgallery wrote:Also it is not so welcomed long URL addresses with "#" or like...
You can disable this from admin -> config -> settings.useswfaddress - uncheck the option.