Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

smithmm
Topic Author

Hit/Visitor Counter per folder

08 Aug 2008, 09:58

Would be great, to have a visitor counter (with cookies support) per folder or at least for the gallery.
Cheers

nz-photo
Experienced

08 Aug 2008, 10:06

+1 :lol:
I'd love to have a counter too.
Maybe add this request to the end of the "add list", to work on it when the beta would be final. :D
Empty your mind, be formless, be shapeless, like water...
www.nz-photo.com

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 Aug 2008, 08:10

yes, this will be added... eventually.

MacDo
Experienced

10 Aug 2008, 04:22

Yes, it would be great... But I think that it would be useful to let the user choose the depth of the counter : gallery, folders, or images. I think it would sometimes be useful to have a counter by image to see which image is the most viewed...

Moreover, I think it would be great to be able to show or hide this counter for the visitor.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

11 Aug 2008, 01:33

Just let me add one thing that some people may find interesting.

I haven't tried it out yet, but with the SWFAddress module, you should be able to use google analytics and it will support all depths from gallery->folder->image.

http://www.google.com/analytics/

As mentioned though, I think we will be looking into adding our own basiuc stats/counter system. A small issue though, is that if we want to gather stats for individual images, we will need to call images through a PHP script instead of calling the image directly. The same goes for images opened with "Open in New Window" ... We can't create any stats unless the calls/links are intercepted/handled by PHP.

Just some info for those of you who are technically interested =)

TranceSetter
Experienced

11 Aug 2008, 09:46

Although I would like to have such a counter for my folders/images integrated in Imagevue, Google Analytics seems to be a good way to track the visits for the time being.

There's only one problem, and that is that Google needs you to paste some code into the websites code, so that they can track it. However, I really don't know how to do that with PHP. I know how to do that in HTML, but that's something different.

Can anyone help me to get this working?

Thanks.

kimlaine
Experienced

11 Aug 2008, 10:24

Hi,

You would probably like to start with this thread:

https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?t=3364

You need to make the change again after updating to a new version, of course. The change itself is simple, you need to add the google analytics code just before the ending </head> tag, f.ex:
Code
				margin: 0px;
				padding: 0px;
				height: 100%;
			}
			#forAdmin { display: none;}
		</style>

<script>
		var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
		document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
		</script>
		<script>
		var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-xxxxxxxxx-x");
		pageTracker._trackPageview();
		</script>

</head>
	<body>
Be sure to have a copy of the original somewhere close before updating. This should work, please correct me if wrong.
Kimi
Dance-Corner.net

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

11 Aug 2008, 12:16

and the file he speaks of for the example above is imagevue/templates/index_gallery.phtml

KAD

Hit/Visitor Counter per folder

03 Aug 2009, 09:14

Hello,

Just wondering if there is any news on getting a hit counter added into the system?

A basic hit counter on the front page would be a good start - I can't seem to intergrate a standard hit counter into a text page.

The next stage would be a per folder or picture count as detailed in this thread.

My ISP provides detailed graphical logs of hits on my domain but I can't put this into my web site for the visitors to see.

Just curious if this is likely to be included at some point?

Fantastic software and I'm impressed with the frequent updates!

Keep up the great work.

Cheers, Keith.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

04 Aug 2009, 12:44

Sure, its coming. Please tell me though, you want a "hit counter" which also displays amount of hits the the visitor? or do you want a counter as part of the statistics?

LDF

05 Aug 2009, 14:23

Hi all,
I was just trying to see how to include a php counter.
I read old posts where it seems impossible to have single pages count.
Is it really impossible or it will added sometimes in the future?
I'm using phpTrafficA.

Thank you so much.
Luca

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

06 Aug 2009, 08:11

LDF wrote:Hi all,
I was just trying to see how to include a php counter.
I read old posts where it seems impossible to have single pages count.
Is it really impossible or it will added sometimes in the future?
I'm using phpTrafficA.
You can easily include a PHP counter - You would simply embed it in the tempalate page imagevue/templates/index.gallery.phtml

Like you say, it does not count individual "pages", simply because the flash gallery application is not really considered "multiple pages". It is a single-page application, displaying multiple images interactively. We will be thinking about adding image statistics in a future release.

LDF

06 Aug 2009, 08:21

Thank you Karl.
I'll be looking forward for this implementation :)

KAD

17 Aug 2009, 16:47

Hi Karl,

I would like a hit counter which which shows the number of site hits to the users when they visit my web page. A standard hit counter which could easily be added to a text page would be excellent so you could show the total number of site visits to the users on a welcoming page.

A more advanced version could show show the number hits each photo has had, indicating which ones are the most popular. I think it would be interesting if these stats are shown to the user rather than just having them as something the Admin can see. A number of hits beside each thumbnail maybe?

I'm really impressed that you are listening to all the feedback which you are getting in the forums. The software you have created is already very impressive and I have encouraged many of my friends purchase it too. I'm sure with the suggestions you are getting and hard work you are putting in, the next release will be even better! Can't wait to try it out.

Let me know if this request still doesn't make sense. :)

Thanks again,

Cheers, Keith.

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

18 Aug 2009, 07:27

Thanks for kind words, actually we listen but not implementing everything ;)

Usual visit counter you can add yourself if you edit imagevue/templates/gallery.index.phtml

View counter is good idea and not that hard to implement, we planning some revamping after summer. Then we'll think about new features. The only drawback, this might make gallery bit slower.
firedev.com