X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

MetAtroN
Experienced
Topic Author

Problem with managing trial version

09 Jul 2017, 19:37

Hello,
I wanted to give X3 a try and downloaded trial version. I've set it up locally on my home server (it's not accessible from outside). After some issues I was able to install it and don't have any critical issues listed in Diagnostic Mode. But there seems to be a problem with gallery management and I'm not sure if it's problem with my server/installation or is it a trial limitation. 
1. When I go to the top of the tree and try to click "+" - nothing happens, 
2. When I click on menu item, for example "6. Humans" tree stays marked at item "1. landscapes" but main window displays (or at least tries to) content of chosen option
3. When I click on "Examples" I get the main window with settings, but when I click on gallery item, the main window is blank on the settings tab, "Gallery" tab shows only 1 thumbnail and nothing more.
4. I'm unable to Upload, create or delete galleries. I was able to force it, by manually creating folder inside "content" of my server, chown it to "www-user" and uploading photos by clicking "Upload", but now when I tried it - it didn't work.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong? I had issues with my apache2 and php installation, I have removed it manually and reinstalled it, adding required packages on the go.

I was using Opera and Vivaldi (Chrome based browser) to check. Both gave pretty much same results as above.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Problem with managing trial version

10 Jul 2017, 03:54

MetAtroN wrote:1. When I go to the top of the tree and try to click "+" - nothing happens, 
2. When I click on menu item, for example "6. Humans" tree stays marked at item "1. landscapes" but main window displays (or at least tries to) content of chosen option
3. When I click on "Examples" I get the main window with settings, but when I click on gallery item, the main window is blank on the settings tab, "Gallery" tab shows only 1 thumbnail and nothing more.
Unfortunately, this is virtually impossible for me to diagnose on your local server, and is not a common error. Surely the exact same buttons work fine for you in our demo panel?

This is definitely related to server in some way or other.
MetAtroN wrote:4. I'm unable to Upload, create or delete galleries. I was able to force it, by manually creating folder inside "content" of my server, chown it to "www-user" and uploading photos by clicking "Upload", but now when I tried it - it didn't work.
Not 100% sure what you mean "creating folder inside /content/" and "it didn't work". You will obviously need to have WRITE permissions for the WWW users for necessary folders.

I am curious, surely you have a hosted website somewhere? Just run the x3_installer.php in an empty folder, and test it on a professional host, and you will avoid all these issues in the first place.

Nothing wrong with running X3 locally (I do it myself), but you need standard server settings, and I can't diagnose issues like the above (for example "button doesn't work").

MetAtroN
Experienced
Topic Author

10 Jul 2017, 05:59

It works on demo panel from the link you provided. I see thumbs in Gallery tab and clicking between gallery works fine as well. Although there's nothing in "Settings" tab for each gallery, I assumed it's where you set how each gallery look like? Unless it's set in different place.
What's interesting that for online version i don't see settings for "Examples" and they are there for my hosted version. Please see screenshots. I'm also attaching screen showing permissions of gallery folder.
This is panel from your link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0-wp ... DNwMk1BS00
This is on my server:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0-wp ... 3B6RXVWb1k
And these are permissions:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0-wp ... E10LXFPUzA

I'll try to forward port, so the gallery will be available from outside for you to see.

Trial version isn't limited in a way that I'd be unable to remove and add folders?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

10 Jul 2017, 10:27

MetAtroN wrote:This is panel from your link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0-wp ... DNwMk1BS00
You are definitely having some unusual problems. You are using a VPN? I'm pretty sure there is something not loading on your network ... Related to what, I can't say, maybe firewall, proxy or VPN. If everything was loading, it would look like it does for everyone else:

This could be related to your local issue also. X3 panel loads many scripts from a CDN service. Perhaps open your browser developer tools and check if there are any errors when loading the page?
MetAtroN wrote:I'll try to forward port, so the gallery will be available from outside for you to see.
I can only diagnose your local gallery if I can view it. The issue is either your browser/network (somehow) or your server. Right now, I don't know which one it is.
MetAtroN wrote:Trial version isn't limited in a way that I'd be unable to remove and add folders?
No. But even if it was, that doesn't explain issues 1-2-3 in your original post.

Nobody else has ever reported anything like this.

MetAtroN
Experienced
Topic Author

10 Jul 2017, 10:48

It's nice to be first. I'll work on the server some more, maybe do a fresh install. Odd thing is that after about two hours of my post here, I went to check online portal again and "Settings" were available where they weren't previously. That's bizarre indeed. I'm not behind any VPN. I'll try checking this on normal Chrome and Firefox. Maybe the browser is one part of the problem as well.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

10 Jul 2017, 13:11

Let me know if you have a link up. Couldn't you try to install at a host? If you already have a website, you could just run the x3_installer on a subfolder for testing. It would at least show if it is your server, or something with browser/network. Personally I was most curious how you got an error on our demo website ... If this was a common issue in any way, it would have been reported to use earlier by someone or other.

The reason I mentioned VPN, is because in your screenshot, I can see "VPN" in top left corner of the URL in your browser.

MetAtroN
Experienced
Topic Author

10 Jul 2017, 13:50

No I don't have any hosting at the moment, I wanted to see if I could host it on my MediaCenter and use to show family photos when guests come. Didn't think about making it available outside.

It stroke me as odd as well. I checked in Chrome and Firefox as well. Online version works just fine in both. Mine, not so much. Same errors across all browsers.

I tried creating user for you but it doesn't work. User is there, but when I try to login I get error "Please check your username or password." and when I log on my admin account user I created is there, but script adds a bunch of admin users over and over again until there are like 30 of them. 

I will reinstall and get back to you with diagnostics screen.