X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Eightkiller
Experienced
Topic Author

Handling gallery loading time

13 Dec 2012, 07:16

Hy,

I apologize in advance if i chose the wrong topic to post that :s. Here is my question : Do you know what can i do to fasten the loading of my gallery ? I don't know what is slowing down the loading (the audio part ?), i'm currently loading the gallery on a 'Filemod', at the beginning it was not taking so much time to first load the Filemod, do you have any clue ?

Here is my gallery: http://www.insightspirit.com

Thanks in advance.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Handling gallery loading time

14 Dec 2012, 01:19

I agree that your website loads slowly. Unfortunately, this seems to simply attribute to your web server. Even when loading this simple overview page, it took almost 10 seconds the first time ...
http://www.insightspirit.com/?a=index

Further testing shows this is not slow PHP execution or anything specific ... Your server is just SLOW. This is an image I loaded (outside of Imagevue). 389KB took 21 seconds to load on my 4mb connection. That is 18kb/s from your server while my connection supports up to 500kb/s ... Very slow output from your server.

If I was you, I would simply ask them about this. Who is the host anyway?

Eightkiller
Experienced
Topic Author

14 Dec 2012, 05:13

Yes, furthermore i have been really cautious with the size of the pictures :s

It is hosted by "Netissime", so maybe i should ask them why it is taking so much time, it is possible that this hosting service sucks, i had to argue a lot with them to make the gallery run correctly.

But i tried to clean cache then load the same picture as you did i have a 29MB connection with Free as provider (13,14MB real) and here are my results

It doesn't take 20 sec :s but only 632ms, not the same connection as you but quite a big difference rmaybe the server was very tired or overloaded when u tried ?). Nevertheless, the first "Filemod" page is still very slow to load.

Here are the first page loading time stats:

Thanks in advance for your investigation help :p, i prefer to take a good look at it before sending a nasty message to the hosting provider :p

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

14 Dec 2012, 10:42

632ms means its cached. It seems you are using Chrome inspector ... If you want to make sure you get proper results, open an incognito window to make sure it always loads from server instead of using cache (Menu -> File -> New Incognito Window). Then run network inspector ...

I mean, if it does load that fast suddenly, then it would load that fast in Imagevue also ... Its not like Imagevue is adding some delay. It just loads an image, and displays it. If its slow, its the server serving the image slowly. If it comes to a PHP process, like loading the menu or something, this could be some other issue with PHP processing, but in your case it does not seem like its specifically a PHP operation that is slow ...

Perhaps your server is overloaded at different times, but in the end of the day, the slowness you are experiencing is just related to slow output from your server. I would recommend comparing speeds with our demo gallery, which has perhaps 1000+ visitors each day and is just a shared server.

Eightkiller
Experienced
Topic Author

15 Dec 2012, 03:56

But i cleaned the cache of all time before testint and i tried in Incognito mode too, the results are almost the same between 580 and 700 ms to get the image. The images also load quite fast in imagevue. It is really the main first page which take a very long time to load the 'Filemod' and i don't understand why the server take so much time to load this one in particular, after the loading of the first page even with a cleaned cache browser, the navigation is pretty fluid and the pictures don't take a very long time to load. But the first even when cached take quite the time, you see the menu is working, the audio component is working too, but the Filemod is still not showing itself,

If i try to put a TextPage instead of a Filemod 'Photoblind', the loading time takes 11-12 s to show the TextPage against 19-20 to show the Photoblind, on your demo gallery the Photoblind takes 5-6 sec to appear. I'm going to send a message to my hosting provider :s

Is it possible, it is because i didn't base the gallery on a recent theme like 'Carbonizer' ? I used a theme base older than those new ones, and looking the files it seems that the handling of many things change, with xml files for examples.

Thanks for your help mjau-mjau ;-)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

16 Dec 2012, 04:22

Sometimes, we see some servers that have good speeds of file delivery, but have very slow PHP processing, which basically makes the Imagevue scripts run slowly. In your case, and in my honest opinion, it is simply the delivery of files from your server that is slow (bandwidth related). I did some in-depth research on your website, and took a screenshot of loading times sorted from what takes the longest time to load:
As you can see in the above, what takes the most time is various static files (png, js and jpg). If you do the math for the speed of loading for those elements, you will see it is a poor result. Further down, you will see the PHP script files at ~4 seconds, which is probably below average also, but nothing noticeable compared to the general loading time of any files on your server.

In addition to the powerpack module (that loads a lot of files), you are using slightly heavy logo graphics and a lot of files are being loaded on start up. This would not necessarily be noticeable from a fast server, but in your case, with all these files loading and being served in queue by a relatively slow server, it sums up and makes it a slow load. If I was you, I would show this data to your host and ask them what's up with that ... Also, try checking your loading speeds at http://tools.pingdom.com, as that will give loading indication from multiple locations.

All I can conclude is that this is not anything specific from Imagevue slowing down the loading ... Its just all those files being loaded and seemingly taking their time from your server.

Eightkiller
Experienced
Topic Author

16 Dec 2012, 04:31

Thanks a lot for your help ;-) , i'm going to contact my hosting server and see what they tell me, i will keep you inform :)

Eightkiller
Experienced
Topic Author

07 Jan 2013, 04:53

So, i have talked with my provider who told me that it was a memory problem. It seems that i only have 120 mo of memory with my contract, and he told me that, the server is using the swap because of the very low quantity of memory that i dispose of.
Could you tell me how much memory i should get on the server in order to have a faster gallery (what is optimal in your opinion) ?

Thanks in advance ;-)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Jan 2013, 02:09

I am not expert on servers, although maybe Nick can fill in with some more information here. I would believe memory is related to the processing of PHP though, and not very much related to the serving of files. As you can see from my snapshot, you have a logo.png which takes 9 seconds to load, and I would assume this is related somewhat to bandwidth, disk access times, or general instability on the server/bandwidth.

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

08 Jan 2013, 02:13

This is strange, do you mean 120 megabyte total? That is barely enough to just keep Linux running without any apps. Normally when you host anything on shared hosting they don't cut your memory that much.

Are you using VPS server?

Or you mean this is memory_limit in php? But even with 128 mb it should run fine. I guess it make sense to try Imagevue on another provider and see for yourself. You can get free trial and check.
firedev.com