Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Airborneplanet
Topic Author

Sorting Folders by drag and drop

05 Feb 2009, 14:11

Dear,

Is there a way to manually order the folders in the content folder ?

Especially welcome when willing to create a kind of Menu using text-pages (without being forced to respect an alphabetical order or numeric sequence in the description)

If not possible yet, there surely are many ways of doing it ...

Alternatives:
1. Could you add an index-field, so one can decide which folder has to be shown first ...

2. Define an editable date-field, so one can change the date and use the sort by date function...

Looking forward to your solution.

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

09 Feb 2009, 09:18

Solution would be manual sort. Drag-and-drop ordering. Stay tuned, we're having this on the list.
firedev.com

fotografie

20 May 2009, 14:37

Great.
That's what I wanted to ask right now.

Grolo

29 May 2009, 12:36

I also need the manual sort option.
When can we expect this option?

gadgetologist
Experienced

29 May 2009, 12:59

Grolo wrote:I also need the manual sort option.
When can we expect this option?
For the manual sort "workaround" look here for now... unless/until a more elegant solution is available.

viewtopic.php?p=17461#17461

gadgetologist
Experienced

29 May 2009, 13:15

If a may, I'd like to highlight this feature and contrast it with another to make a point. The features I'm using for examples are not as important as the point I am am going to try to make here.

Drag and Drop Menu Ordering (DDMO).vs. Comprehensive Menu Bar Handling.

Given you can't have everything, which do you prefer and how do we give them the right directions? To me, menu placement, location, orientaion, etc. are much more critical. Drag and drop? nice to have when lots of other functional things that are missing are put in. That's like putting curtains in a home before the floors are laid!

But, perhaps the view is, let's just put it on the list. Which is fine too.

Your thoughts?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

31 May 2009, 17:14

There is a point there that building the flash to be able to support all locations, orientations and placements for all interactive elements is very hard to maintain. With all these options and conditions, things are bound to crash. Ultimately, we would prefer to build something more correct but with less options. When it comes to custom sorting however, this feature does not crash with anything or require us to rethink logics of other features. Therefore its less fuzz to create such new features ...

gadgetologist
Experienced

31 May 2009, 19:17

So, drag and drop would be a higher priority over having the vertical and horizontal menus work correctly first then, enhance the ability to place them?

Or did I misunderstand?

Certainly supporting all location might be considered comprehensive to some or perhaps extreme to others. But engineering (software or otherwise) is about managing constraints. So I look at the these priorities on the relative sliding scale. And to me, the menu comes out on top by a significant amount.
But that's just me. :wink:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

01 Jun 2009, 06:11

Well, everyone is entitles to their opinion, and there are many ways to look upon it.

Generally speaking, the "horizontal menu" was just a quick workaround for those who wanted to use it within its restrictions. The option would have been to not create it. What next? A vertical thumbnailscroller? right-side menu?

If you check other flash galleries out there(there are other good ones), you wil also see that they don ´t come with a vast amount of options to just move interactive elements around everywhere. This is not without reason ...

This is also why wer have mentioned earlier that we aim to release additional unique gallery modules in the future. One creation simply can ´t be maintained to cover all requirements without loosing touch.

johnallan

05 Aug 2009, 13:04

Yes please - Drag and drop image sorting.
This functionality is huge for us.

IMO, this functionality is basic to the functionality of a gallery administration component.

Thanks.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

06 Aug 2009, 09:05

johnallan wrote:Yes please - Drag and drop image sorting.
This functionality is huge for us.

IMO, this functionality is basic to the functionality of a gallery administration component.
True - Its just that Imagevue has always been a system that plainly reflects the folder/file structure on your server. Custom sorting through admin will need to find a way around that, so thats the challenge. But you can expect it soon!

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

06 Aug 2009, 09:09

I believe we'll add this to next major release.
firedev.com